[Numpy-discussion] question about memory ownership

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Jan 17 22:23:38 CST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 22:06, Darren Dale <dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would someone be so kind as to explain how to create an ndarray subclass
> that owns its own memory? I think RealisticInfoArray at
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/basics.subclassing.html#basics-subclassing
> does not own its own memory, do you have to call ndarray.__new__ directly,
> or is there another way?

Does it matter? Unless if something actually digs down to grab the
base object, the RealisticInfoArray object is the only thing keeping
it alive. When it goes away, the underlying array goes away.

But take a look at the implementation of memmap for a subclass that
calls ndarray.__new__ directly.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."