[Numpy-discussion] python numpy code many times slower than c++

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jan 20 20:22:52 CST 2009

2009/1/20 Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com>:
> I tried a little experiment, implementing some code in numpy (usually I
> build modules in c++ to interface to python).  Since these operations are
> all large vectors, I hoped it would be reasonably efficient.
>
> The code in question is simple.  It is a model of an amplifier, modeled by
> it's AM/AM and AM/PM characteristics.
>
> The function in question is the __call__ operator.  The test program plots a
> spectrum, calling this operator 1024 times each time with a vector of 4096.

If you want to find out what lines in that function are taking the
most time, you can try my line_profiler module:

http://www.enthought.com/~rkern/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/line_profiler/

That might give us a better idea in the absence of a self-contained example.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco