[Numpy-discussion] python numpy code many times slower than c++

Neal Becker ndbecker2@gmail....
Wed Jan 21 06:28:50 CST 2009

Robert Kern wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 20:57, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see the problem.  Thanks for the great profiler!  You ought to make
>> this more widely known.
>
> I'll be making a release shortly.
>
>> It seems the big chunks of time are used in data conversion between numpy
>> and my own vectors classes.  Mine are wrappers around boost::ublas.  The
>> conversion must be falling back on a very inefficient method since there
>> is no special code to handle numpy vectors.
>>
>> Not sure what is the best solution.  It would be _great_ if I could make
>> boost::python objects that export a buffer interface, but I have
>> absolutely no idea how to do this (and so far noone else has volunteered
>> any info on this).
>
> Who's not volunteering information, boost::python or us?

I've asked on python.c++, the home of boost::python and friends.  I've spent
a little time on it myself, but I think this job requires great knowledge of
python c api as well as the mysteries of boost::python.