[Numpy-discussion] python numpy code many times slower than c++

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Jan 22 01:52:32 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 01:46, Hanni Ali <hanni.ali@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using your profiler extensively and it has contributed to my
> achieving significant improvements in the application I work on largely due
> to the usefulness of the line by line breakdown enabling me to easily select
> the next part of code to work on optimizing. So firstly many thanks for
> writing it.

My pleasure.

> However back to my point, Wes, I have also experienced timing oddities, in
> particular on Virtual machines (MS Hyper-V has very poor processor timings,
> the older MS VM works fine though). I believe the negative timings arise
> when the CPU (be it virtual or possibly physical) deviates from its standard
> performance or rather the initial timer unit taken, would this make sense to
> you Robert?

Can you try using cProfile with lots of calls to empty functions? I'm
using the same timer functions as cProfile.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco