[Numpy-discussion] numpy.array and subok kwarg

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Thu Jan 22 09:53:45 CST 2009

Darren,

> The type returned by np.array is ndarray, unless I specifically set
> subok=True, in which case I get a MyArray. The default value of
> subok is True, so I dont understand why I have to specify subok
> unless I want it to be False. Is my subclass missing something
> important?

Blame the doc: the default for subok in array is False, as explicit in
the _array_fromobject Cfunction (in multiarray). So no, you're not
doing anything wrong. Note that by default subok=True for
numpy.ma.array.