[Numpy-discussion] Building on WinXP 64-bit, Intel Compilers

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Wed Jan 28 18:36:08 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Michael Colonno <mcolonno@gmail.com> wrote:
>    I think this is doable; thankfully the Intel compilers on Windows and
> Linux are very similar in behavior.

The problem is that distutils does not abstract this kind of things:
you have a CCompiler class, and a subclass Unix C Compiler, and then
Intel Compiler. OTOH, the MS compiler is its own class which inherit
from CCompiler - all windows specifics are encoded in this class. So I
am afraid you will need to recreate all this class implementation for
Intel C Compiler, because contrary to the Linux case, nothing is
abstracted for windows.

> As an aside: how were the Windows 32-bit installers created?

With mingw compiler.

> Is
> it possible to recreate this process changing the target arch --> x64?

If you can build numpy with the Intel compiler, building the installer
should be a no-brainer.

cheers,

David