[Numpy-discussion] C API refcount question

Mon Jul 6 08:30:32 CDT 2009

I'm trying to fledge out Cython's numpy.pxd, and have a question:

Is there documentation anywhere, or a simple-to-remember rule, on
whether the return value of a NumPy C API is incref-ed or not?

E.g. PyArray_BASE, PyArray_DESCR obviously does not incref; while I'm
assuming that PyArray_New* must incref for successful operation.
Furthermore PyArray_GETITEM must also incref.

This kind of a priori guessing and source inspection gets tiresome for
the hundreds of functions I must cover though...

--
Dag Sverre