[Numpy-discussion] Scipy Conference 2009 Lecture Recordings

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jul 16 16:30:39 CDT 2009

Hi all,

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Peter Alexander<vel.accel@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really hope someone will take the initiative. This, for me, is the most
> interesting of programming conferences; including outside the python
> community.
> I can't imagine this to be that technically challenging.. I would think.
>
> The open source community is all about volunteering and with that being
> said, I wouldn't expect the conference organizers to necessarily be involved
> in the cooridination of such an initiative.

I think this would be great to have, and for example the 2-days of
advanced tutorials would lend themselves well to this.  I can offer to
bring a sturdy tripod (I'm driving, so weight is not an issue), but I
have no video recording equipment of any kind at all.

If someone has a camera that can do the recordings in a format that
can then be directly recompressed at the command line with something
like mencoder, that would be great.  From experience, any recording
mode that requires later manual editing sounds great in principle, and
then nobody finds the time to do all the work.

So I'd much rather have something that does:

- low tech but acceptable quality, single-file-per-talk recordings.
- Upon return we run overnight a shell script to reencode at lower resolution
- We plop the lot onto the site unmodified.

If anyone offers real fancy video editing support beyond the above it
would be great, but I'm willing to settle for 'basic that exists'
rather than "hollywood we won't have" :)

So let me know if I should bring the sturdy tripod...

Cheers,