[Numpy-discussion] Not enough storage for memmap on 32 bit Win XP for accumulated file size above approx. 1 GB

Kim Hansen slaunger@gmail....
Thu Jul 23 08:48:14 CDT 2009

2009/7/23 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>:

>> Is it due to the 32 bit OS I am using?
>
> It could be. IIRC, 32 bit windows gives user programs 2 GB of addressable
> memory, so your files need to fit in that space even if the data is on disk.
> You aren't using that much memory but you are close and it could be that
> other programs make up the difference. Maybe you can monitor the memory to
> get a better idea of the usage.
>
> Chuck
Hi Chuck,

If I use the Windows task manager to see how much memory is used by
the Python application when running the memmap test it says

Before loading first memmap: 8.588 MB
After loading first memmap: 8.596 MB

i.e. only an additional 8 kB for having the 750 MB recarray available

Maybe I am measuring memory usage wrong?

Kim

Kim