[Numpy-discussion] When building with --prefix /usr/local numpy not detected by python

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Mon Jun 1 15:47:03 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Chris Colbert <sccolbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 64-bit ubuntu 9.04 and Python 2.6, I built numpy from source against
> atlas and lapack (everything 64bit).
>
> To install, I used:   sudo python setup.py install --prefix /usr/local
>
> but then python doesnt find the numpy module, even though it exists in
> /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages
>

> Do I need to add a .pth file somewhere to tell python about numpy? I thought
> that would be done during the install command
>
> Cheers!
>
> Chris

I have two similar setups (kubuntu 64 bit and ubuntu 32 bit though)
and am able to build without the prefix flag and everything seems to
work okay.  Install goes into the dist-packages directory and not the
site-packages.  I'm not sure why though to be honest.

Skipper