[Numpy-discussion] matrix default to column vector?

Jason Rennie jrennie@gmail....
Thu Jun 4 10:06:28 CDT 2009

Thanks for the responses.  I did not realize that dot() would do matrix
multiplication which was the main reason I was looking for a matrix-like
class.  Like you and Tom suggested, I think it's best to stick to arrays.

Cheers,

Jason

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 6:45 PM, David Warde-Farley <dwf@cs.toronto.edu>wrote:

> On 24-May-09, at 8:32 AM, Tom K. wrote:
>
> > Maybe my reluctance to work with matrices stems from this kind of
> > inconsistency.  It seems like your code has to be all matrix, or all
> > array -
> > and if you mix them, you need to be very careful about which is which.
>
> Also, functions called on things of type matrix may not return a
> matrix as expected, but rather an array.
>
> Anecdotally, it seems to me that lots of people (myself included) seem
> to go through a phase early in their use of NumPy where they try to
> use matrix(), but most seem to end up switching to using 2D arrays for
> all the aforementioned reasons.
>
> David

Jason Rennie
Research Scientist, ITA Software