[Numpy-discussion] matrix default to column vector?

Tommy Grav tgrav@mac....
Thu Jun 4 16:54:38 CDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 5:41 PM, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On 6/4/2009 5:27 PM Tommy Grav apparently wrote:
>> Or the core development team split the matrices out of numpy and
>> make it
>> as separate package that the people that use them could pick up and
>> run with.
>

> This too would be a mistake, I believe.
> But it depends on whether a goal is to
> have more people use NumPy.  I believe
> the community will gain from growth.
>
> In sum, my argument is this:
> Keeping a matrix object in NumPy has substantial
> benefits in encouraging growth of the NumPy
> community, and as far as I can tell, it is
> imposing few costs.  Therefore I think there is
> a very substantial burden on people who propose
> removing the matrix object to demonstrate
> just how the NumPy community will benefit from
> this change.

This is a perfectly valid argument. I am actually quite happy with the
numpy package as it is (I work in astronomy), I was just pointing out
that if there are few of the core numpy people interested in maintaing
or upgrading the matrix class one solution might be to make it a
scipy-like package that easily can be installed on top of numpy, but
where the code base might be more accessible to those that are
interested in matrices, but feel that numpy is a daunting beast to
tackle.
Some sense of ownership of a matrixpy package might encourage more
people to contribute.

Just an idea ;-)
Tommy