[Numpy-discussion] matrix default to column vector?

Olivier Verdier zelbier@gmail....
Sat Jun 6 13:34:34 CDT 2009

I took that very seriously when you said that matrices were important to
you. Far from me the idea of forbidding numpy users to use matrices.
My point was the fact that newcomers are confused by the presence of both
matrices and arrays. I think that there should be only one
matrix/vector/tensor object in numpy. Therefore I would advocate the removal
of matrices from numpy.

*But* why not have matrices in a different component? Maybe as a part of
scipy? or somewhere else? You would be more than welcome to use them
anywhere. Note that I use components outside numpy for my teaching (scipy,
sympy, mayavi, nosetest) and I don't have any problems with that.

With my "argument" I endeavoured to explain the potential complications of
using matrices instead of arrays when teaching. Perhaps the strongest
argument against matrices is that you cannot use vectors. I've taught enough
matlab courses to realise the pain that this represents for students. But I
realise also that somebody else would have a different experience.

Of course x.T*y should be a 1x1 matrix, this is not an anomaly, but it is
confusing for students, because they expect a scalar. That is why I prefer
to teach with dot. Then the relation matrix/vector/scalar is crystal clear.

== Olivier