[Numpy-discussion] matrix default to column vector?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Jun 7 02:56:16 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 02:43, Olivier Verdier <zelbier@gmail.com> wrote:
> There would be a much simpler solution than allowing a new operator. Just
> allow the numpy function dot to take more than two arguments. Then A*B*C in
> matrix notation would simply be:
> dot(A,B,C)
> with arrays. Wouldn't that make everybody happy? Plus it does not break
> backward compatibility. Am I missing something?

We've discussed it before. Search the archives. Although matrix
multiplication is mathematically associative, there are performance
and precision implications to the order the multiplications happen. No
satisfactory implementation was found.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."