[Numpy-discussion] scipy 0.7.1rc2 released

Mon Jun 8 06:45:29 CDT 2009

2009/6/8 David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:
> Matthieu Brucher wrote:
>> I'm trying to compile it with ICC 10.1.018, and it fails :|
>>
>> icc: scipy/special/cephes/const.c
>> scipy/special/cephes/const.c(94): error: floating-point operation
>> result is out of range
>>   double INFINITY = 1.0/0.0;  /* 99e999; */
>>                        ^
>>
>> scipy/special/cephes/const.c(99): error: floating-point operation
>> result is out of range
>>   double NAN = 1.0/0.0 - 1.0/0.0;
>>                   ^
>>
>> scipy/special/cephes/const.c(99): error: floating-point operation
>> result is out of range
>>   double NAN = 1.0/0.0 - 1.0/0.0;
>>                             ^
>>
>> compilation aborted for scipy/special/cephes/const.c (code 2)
>> scipy/special/cephes/const.c(94): error: floating-point operation
>> result is out of range
>>   double INFINITY = 1.0/0.0;  /* 99e999; */
>>                        ^
>>
>> scipy/special/cephes/const.c(99): error: floating-point operation
>> result is out of range
>>   double NAN = 1.0/0.0 - 1.0/0.0;
>>                   ^
>>
>> scipy/special/cephes/const.c(99): error: floating-point operation
>> result is out of range
>>   double NAN = 1.0/0.0 - 1.0/0.0;
>>
>> At least, it seems to pick up the Fortran compiler correctly (which
>> 0.7.0 didn't seem to do ;))
>>

> This code makes me cry... I know Visual Studio won't like it either.
> Cephes is a constant source of problems . As I mentioned a couple of
> months ago, I think the only solution is to rewrite most of
> scipy.special, at least the parts using cephes, using for example boost
> algorithms and unit tests. But I have not started anything concrete -
> Pauli did most of the work on scipy.special recently (Kudos to Pauli for
> consistently improving scipy.special, BTW)
>
> cheers,

It could be simply enhanced by refactoring only mconf.h with proper
compiler flags, and fix yn.c to remove the NAN detection (as it should
be in the mconf.h).
Unfortunately, I have no time for this at the moment (besides the fact
that it is on my workstation, not at home).

Matthieu
--
Information System Engineer, Ph.D.
Website: http://matthieu-brucher.developpez.com/