[Numpy-discussion] Interactive Shell/Editor/Workspace(variables)View/Plots

Jonno jonnojohnson@gmail....
Mon Jun 8 11:29:15 CDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm new to python and tools like matplotlib and Mayavi so I may be
missing something basic. I've been looking for a fairly lightweight
editor/interactive shell combo that allows me to create plots and
figures from a shell and play with them and kill them gracefully. The
Mayavi documentation describes using IPython with the -wthread option
at startup and while this works well I really would like to use an
environment where I can see the variables. I really like the PyDee
layout and it has everything I need (editor view, shell, workspace,
doc view) but I don't think it can be used with IPython (yet).
Does anyone have any suggestions?
In Pydee I can generate plots and update them from the shell but I
can't (or don't know how to) kill them.
Is there an alternative with an IPython shell that has a built-in
editor view or at least a workspace where I can view variables?

I hope this is an acceptable place to post this. If not please let me
know if you know a better place to ask.

Cheers,

Jonno.

--
"If a theory can't produce hypotheses, can't be tested, can't be
disproven, and can't make predictions, then it's not a theory and