[Numpy-discussion] performance matrix multiplication vs. matlab

Tue Jun 9 03:09:06 CDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:

> I think the biggest problem is the 'babel tower' aspect of machine
> learning (the expression is from David H. Wolpert I believe), and
> practitioners in different subfields often use totally different words
> for more or less the same concepts (and many keep being rediscovered).
> For example, what ML people call PCA is called Karhunen Loéve in signal
> processing, and the concepts are quite similar.
>
> Anyway, the book from Bishop is a pretty good reference by one of the
> leading researcher:
>
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/cmbishop/prml/

Should have mentioned that it is the same Bishop as mentioned by
Matthieu, and that chapter 12 deals with latent models with continuous
latent variable, which is one way to consider PCA in a probabilistic
framework.

David