[Numpy-discussion] RFC: add a install_clib numpy.distutils command to install pure C libraries

Fri Jun 12 06:38:51 CDT 2009

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 07:46:04PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>>     I have finally spent some time so that we can install pure C
>> libraries using numpy.distutils. With this, one could imagine having a C
>> library for fft, special functions in numpy or scipy, so that the
>> library could be reused in another package at the C level. If someone
>> knowledgeable about numpy.distutils would like to review this branch, I
>> would be grateful:
>>

> Do I understand this well? Does that mean that another package could use
> the lapack exposed by numpy, or the special function exposed by scipy, or
> the random number generator exposed by numpy, at the C level?

Well, that's the goal, yes, but it only solves the problem at the build
level. There is still a lot of work to make e.g. blas or lapack usable
from C - npy_math is kind of trivial, comparatively.

There is another problem for scipy: I don't know how to make the build
information available to 3rd party - for npymath, it is easy because it
is in numpy, so I can just add one function to numpy.distutils. I am
tempted to just steal pkg-config .pc format - having a pkg-config clone
in python should be quite trivial, and the format is quite flexible.

cheers,

David