[Numpy-discussion] Plans for Numpy 1.4.0 and scipy 0.8.0

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sun Jun 21 10:59:46 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Charles R
Harris<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Darren Dale<dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM, John Reid <j.reid@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> I vote against dropping support for python 2.5. Personally I have no
>>> incentive to upgrade to 2.6 and am very happy with 2.5.
>>
>> Will requiring python-2.6 help the developers port numpy to python-3?
>>

> Can't really say at this point, but it is the suggested path to
> python-3.

OTOH, I don't find the python 3 "official" transition story very
convincing. I have tried to gather all the information I could find,
both on the python wiki and from transitions stories. To support both
python 2 and 3, the suggestion is to use the 2to3 script, but it is
painfully slow for big packages like numpy. And there ave very few
stories for porting python 3 C extensions.

Another suggestion is to avoid breaking the API when transitioning for
python 3. But that seems quite unrealistic. How do we deal with the
removing of string/long APIs ? This will impact the numpy API as well,
so how do we deal with it ?

Also, there does not seem to be any advantages for python 3 for
scientific people ?

cheers,

David