[Numpy-discussion] Plans for Numpy 1.4.0 and scipy 0.8.0

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Mon Jun 22 01:09:52 CDT 2009

On 21-Jun-09, at 11:59 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

>> Can't really say at this point, but it is the suggested path to
>> python-3.
>
> OTOH, I don't find the python 3 "official" transition story very
> convincing. I have tried to gather all the information I could find,
> both on the python wiki and from transitions stories. To support both
> python 2 and 3, the suggestion is to use the 2to3 script, but it is
> painfully slow for big packages like numpy. And there ave very few
> stories for porting python 3 C extensions.

It's the suggested path for python packages in general but I wonder
about how readily this advice applies to packages that are so heavily
C-dependent. There was talk of using Cython to ease the transition/
maintenance of 2.x and 3.x branches, since it abstracts away the
choice of old-style buffer interface vs. PEP3118-style. Perhaps Dag
Sverre has something to say on this topic?

> Also, there does not seem to be any advantages for python 3 for
> scientific people ?

There's some new stuff with regard to native arbitrary-precision
arithmetic, which might affect some people, but I agree on the whole.

David