[Numpy-discussion] Plans for Numpy 1.4.0 and scipy 0.8.0

Mon Jun 22 02:04:13 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Pierre GM<pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2009, at 5:01 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> (Continuing the discussion initiated in the neighborhood iterator
>> thread)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I would like to gather people's opinion on what to target for numpy
>> 1.4.0.
>
> Is this a wish list ?
>
> * As Darren mentioned, some __array_prepare__ method called when a
> ufunc is called on a subclass of ndarray, before any computation takes
> place. Think of it as a parallel to __array_wrap__

This is an interesting idea but it need some fleshing out. Working out
a few example applications would firm things up I think. Things like
what parameters would be passed need to be specified. For instance, if
units are involved there would be a difference between binary and
unary functions. And what of things like log and exp which should have
unitless arguments? There looks to be a lot of preliminary work there.

> * A .metadata/.addinfo object storing additional information along a
> ndarray. Travis O. mentioned that a little while back. Could probably
> wait a bit, till 1.5 ?

That might be the easiest thing to add. Travis should have something
to say about that.

Chuck