[Numpy-discussion] Import Numpy on Windows Vista x64 AMD

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sat Jun 27 21:42:26 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Dinesh B
Vadhia<dineshbvadhia@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The machine in question is factory installed with:
>
> OS: Windows Vista 64-bit SP2
> Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU, Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz @2.4GHz
> Memory:  8Gb
>
> Apart from Python 2.5.4 nothing has been installed on this machine as it is
> being used only to run Python programs.
>
> Python 2.6.1 was installed so that Numpy 1.3 could be installed.  Numpy was
> installed per machine and per-user and each time import numpy didn't work.
>
> If Numpy cannot be imported on this plain-vanilla machine what configuration
> does it work on?

I think in this case, the problem is Vista. There are subtle problems
with dll loading on Vista, that nobody in the python community has
been able to track down. See for example:

http://bugs.python.org/issue4018

I can import it fine in windows xp 64 (although it is certainly not
bug-free - the 64 bits installer is marked as experimental for a
reason).

David