[Numpy-discussion] numpy and python 2.6 on windows: please test

Tue Mar 3 06:09:20 CST 2009

Hi James,

James Watson wrote:
>> I would appreciate if people would test building numpy
>> (trunk); in particular since some issues are moderately complex and
>> system dependent
>>

> On Vista with VS2008, numpy rev r6535, I get the following behaviour:
> 1. Building and installing numpy on python 2.6.1 compiled in debug
> mode succeeds, but 'import numpy' returns 'ImportError: No module
> named multiarray'.

Yes, debug mode does not work well if at all. I am not even sure whether
this is a regression or not - I am very unfamiliar with how debugging
works on the python  + windows + VS combination. If you have some
insight/recommendations, I would be glad to fix this (e.g. how is this
supposed to work ?) - one problem is that building full python on
windows with MS compilers is a PITA - or are there any pre-built
debugged versions somewhere ?

> 2. Building and installing numpy using python compiled in release mode
> succeeds, 'import numpy' succeeds, but 'numpy.test()' crashes the
> interpreter.

Yes, this has actually nothing to do with python 2.6. I noticed the
crash, thought naively it would be easy to fix, but it is actually quite
nasty. I've reverted the change which introduced the crash for the time
being (r6541).

> Could this be related to the PyImport_Import and PyImport_ImportModule
> changes made in 2.6 (bottom of
> http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html)?

I don't know - I would like to say no, but I am not quite sure,
specially since the exact rules for dynamic loading of code are still
not clear to me on windows,

David