[Numpy-discussion] Apropos ticked #913

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Mar 5 00:33:05 CST 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 00:28, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Heh, it's somehow comforting to know Matlab finds it a bit confusing too. I
> suppose what bothers me is that fmax/fmin return the first argument when
> both are nans. For reals, that is simply a nan, no problem, but for complex
> numbers is seems a bit arbitrary. Maybe I'm being a bit obsessive here.

Perhaps we can explicitly label the behavior undefined and reserve the
right to nail it down later. Presumably, if there is a use case for
one way or the other, someone will complain that it either doesn't
work the way the want or that they would like to have guarantees that
the current behavior will be preserved.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."