[Numpy-discussion] ImportError: ccompiler

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Mar 9 13:21:32 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Julius Schlüter <1-2@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a Newbie, trying to compile Numpy on Vista with Python 2.6,
> following this guide:
> http://code.google.com/p/pyamg/wiki/CompilingOnWinXP

First, the shortest path to numpy, specially on windows, is to use the
binary installer. We don't have yet a python 2.6 installer, but the
upcoming numpy 1.3 will have one (numpy 1.3.0 is scheduled for April
1st).

> It worked one time. Now that I've updated Numpy to the latest subversion
> and tried a second time, I get this error:
>
> C:\Users\...>python C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\numpy\setup.py config
> --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32 install

You should not call the setup.py from the installed numpy (in
site-packages). You should call the one in your svn checkout (which
should not be in site-packages - site-package is *only* for
installation. You should never even have to look into it, except for
debugging and things like that).

So basically, reserve yourself a directory for numpy, and in it:

svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk
cd trunk
python setup.py build -c mingw32 install

You should remove the previously installed version before installing:

rd /s /q C:¥python26¥Lib¥site-packages¥numpy

But again, if you can wait for a few weeks, you will be better served
with the binary installer,

cheers,

David