[Numpy-discussion] Can we assume both FPU and ALU to have same endianness for numpy ?

Tue Mar 10 10:47:33 CDT 2009

Hi,

    While working on portable macros for NAN, INF and co, I was
wondering why the current version of my code was working
(http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browser/trunk/numpy/core/include/numpy/npy_math.h,
first lines). I then realized that IEEE 754 did not impose an
endianness, contrary to my belief. The macros would fail if the FPU and
the ALU were using a different endianness. Is this still a possibility
on the architectures we want to support ?

cheers,

David