[Numpy-discussion] Numpy documentation: status and distribution for 1.3.0

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Tue Mar 10 13:22:12 CDT 2009

Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:27:32 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> For the upcoming 1.3.0 release, I would like to distribute the (built)
> documentation in some way. But first, I need to be able to build it :)

Yep, buildability would be a nice feature :)

> What are the exact requirements to build the documentation ? Is sphinx
> 0.5 enough ? I can't manage to build it on either mac os x or linux:

Sphinx 0.5.1 worksforme, and on two different Linux machines (and Python
versions), so I doubt it's somehow specific to my setup.

Sphinx 0.6.dev doesn't work at the moment with autosummary. It's a bit of
a moving target, so I haven't made keeping it working a priority.

> dumping search index... Exception occurred:
>   File
>   "/Users/david/local/stow/sphinx.dev/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
sphinx/search.py",
> line 151, in get_descrefs
>     pdict[name] = (fn2index[doc], i)
> KeyError: 'reference/c-api.types-and-structures' The full traceback has
> been saved in
> /var/folders/b-/b-BC2bPYFouYhoybrvprFE+++TI/-Tmp-/sphinx-err-PKglvL.log,
> if you want to report the issue to the author. Please also report this
> if it was a user error, so that a better error message can be provided
> next time.

This is a Sphinx error I run into from time to time. Usually

	make clean

helps, but I'm not sure what causes this. The error looks a bit like

	http://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/sphinx/issue/81/

but I think Ctrl+C is not a requirement for triggering it. Did you get
this error from a clean build?

> There are also some errors on mac os x about too many opened files
> (which can be alleviated by running the make html again, but obviously,
> that's not great). I don't know if there are easy solutions to that
> problem,

At which step did this error occur?

--
Pauli Virtanen