[Numpy-discussion] numpy via easy_install on windows

Fri Mar 13 14:22:13 CDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> It depends on how much resource you can spend on it, but if I were to
> distribute things on windows, I would build a msi/bdist_wininst of
> every package, and wrap this into another installer (which is almost
> exactly what the superpack does).

This would stomp on the person's existing python installation -- which
is the point of virtualenv -- no none should use the system python for
stuff that they distribute this way. So virtualenv or perhaps
distributing all of python too, and putting it in a unique location, is
the way to go.

Another option is py2exe, bbfreeze, PyInstaller.

They will install everything needed. I think bbfreeze even supplies a
custom interpreter, so you can essentially build a custom python distro
with it.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov