[Numpy-discussion] Enhancements for NumPy's FFTs

Sat Mar 14 15:24:35 CDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:

> 1) I have noticed that fftpack_litemodule.c does not release the GIL
> around calls to functions in fftpack.c. I cannot se any obvious reason for
> this. As far as I can tell, the functions in fftpack.c are re-entrant.
>
> 2) If fftpack_lite did release the GIL, it would allow functions in
> numpy.fft to use multithreading for multiple FFTs in parallel
> (threading.Thread are ok, not special compilation needed).
>
> 3) Is there any reason numpy.fft does not have dct? If not, I'd suggest
> addition of numpy.fft.dct and numpy.fft.idct.
>
> 4) Regarding ticket #400: Cython now makes this easy. NumPy's FFTs should
> be exposed to C extesions without calling back to Python.
>

> Can I open a ticket for this and take care of it? At least 1, 2 and 4
> should only take me an hour or so to write, so it might even be ready for
> 1.3.0.

Give it a shot. Note that the fft transforms also use int instead of intp,
which limits the maximum transform size to 32 bits. Fixing that is somewhere
on my todo list but I would be happy to leave it to you ;) Although I expect
transforms > 2GB aren't all that common.

Chuck