[Numpy-discussion] Numpy v1.3.0b1 on Linux w/ Intel compilers - unknown file type

Christian Marquardt christian@marquardt...
Thu Mar 26 21:28:50 CDT 2009

Hmm.

I downloaded the beta tar file and started from the untarred contents plus a patch for the Intel compilers
(some changes of the command line arguments for the compiler and a added setup.cfg file specifying the
paths to the Intel MKL libraries) which applied cleanly. I then ran

python setup.py config --compiler=intel config_fc --fcompiler=intel build_clib --compiler=intel build_ext --compiler=intel install

which failed.

After playing around a bit, I found that it seems that the build_clib --compiler=intel subcommand which
causes the trouble; after disabling it, that is with

python setup.py config --compiler=intel config_fc --fcompiler=intel build_ext --compiler=intel install

things compile fine - and all but four of the unit tests fail (test_linalg.TestEigh and test_linalg.TestEigvalsh
in both test_csingle and test_cdouble - should I be worried?)

How are the .src files converted?

Many thanks,

Christian.

----- "Charles R Harris" <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Christian Marquardt < christian@marquardt.sc > wrote:

Hello,

> I tried to compile and install numpy 1.3.0b1 on a Suse Linux 10.3 with Python
> 2.5.x and an Intel C and Fortran compilers 10.1 as well as the MKL 10.0. The
> distutils do find the compilers and the MKL (when using similar settings as I
> used successfully for all previous numpy versions sonce 1.0.4 or so), but then
> bail out with the following error:
>
> ...>python setup.py install
>
> [...]
>
> running config
> running config_fc
> unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --fcompiler options
> running build_clib
> Found executable /opt/intel/cc/10.1.018/bin/icc
> Could not locate executable ecc
> customize IntelCCompiler
> customize IntelCCompiler using build_clib
> building 'npymath' library
> compiling C sources
> C compiler: icc
>
> error: unknown file type '.src' (from 'numpy/core/src/npy_math.c.src')
>
> I think the error message does not even come from the compiler...
>
> I'm lost... What does it mean, and why are there source files named ...c.src?
>

> That file should be preprocessed to produce npy_math.c which ends up in the build directory. I don't know what is going on here, but you might first try deleting the build directory just to see what happens. There might be some setup file that is screwy/outdated also. Did you download the beta and do a clean extract?
>
> Chuck

Dr. Christian Marquardt Email: christian@marquardt.sc
Wilhelm-Leuschner-Str. 27 Tel.: +49 (0) 6151 95 13 776
64293 Darmstadt Mobile: +49 (0) 179 290 84 74
Germany Fax: +49 (0) 6151 95 13 885