[Numpy-discussion] How to tell whether I am using 32 bitor 64bit numpy?

Dinesh B Vadhia dineshbvadhia@hotmail....
Sat Mar 28 10:33:03 CDT 2009

David

1)  32-bit Numpy/Scipy with 32-bit Python on 64-bit Windows does work.  But, it doesn't take advantage of memory > 2gb.

2)  Happy to help out with the experimental 64-bit builds of Numpy/Scipy.  But, would this be with pre-installed Windows libraries or source files as I'm not setup for dealing with source files?  The machine has an Intel Core2 Quad CPU with 8gb ram.  Strangely, the 64-bit Python 2.5x Intel version wouldn't install but the AMD version did.

Dinesh

From: David Cournapeau
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:16 AM
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] How to tell whether I am using 32 bitor 64bit numpy?

Dinesh B Vadhia wrote:
> Uhmmm!  I installed 64-bit Python (2.5x) on a Windows 64-bit Vista
> machine (yes, strange but true) hoping that the 32-bit Numpy & Scipy
> libraries would work but they didn't.

That's a totally different situation: in your case, python and numpy
share the same address space in one process (for all purpose, numpy is a
dll for python), and you certainly can't mix 32 and 64 bits in the same
process. What you can do is running 32 bits numpy/scipy for a 32 bits
python on windows 64 bits...

... or helping us making numpy and scipy work on windows 64 bits by
testing the experimental 64 bits builds of numpy/scipy for windows :)

cheers,

David