[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sat Mar 28 10:52:38 CDT 2009

Hi Travis,

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Travis E. Oliphant
<oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:

> FYI from PyCon
>
> Here at PyCon, it has been said that Python will be moving towards DVCS
> and will be using bzr or mecurial, but explicitly *not* git.   It would
> seem that *git* got the "lowest" score in the Developer survey that
> Brett Cannon did.

It is interesting how those tools are viewed so differently in
different communities. I am too quite doubtful about the validity of
those surveys :)

> The reasons seem to be:
>
>  * git doesn't have good Windows clients

Depending on what is meant by good windows client (GUI, IDE
integration), it is true, but then neither do bzr or hg have good
clients, so I find this statement a bit strange. What is certainly
true is that git developers care much less about windows than bzr (and
hg ?). For example, I would guess git will never care much about case
insensitive fs, etc... (I know bzr developers worked quite a bit on
this).

>  * git is not written with Python

I can somewhat understand why it matters to python, but does it matter to us ?

There are definitely strong arguments against git - but I don't think
being written in python is a strong one. The lack of a good window
support is a good argument against changing from svn, but very
unconvincing compared to other tools. Git has now so much more
manpower compared to hg and bzr (many more project use it: the list of
visible projects using git is becoming quite impressive) - from a 3rd
party POV, I think git is much better set up than bzr and hg. Gnome
choosing git could be significant (they made the decision a couple of
days ago).

> I think the sample size was pretty small to be making decisions on
> (especially when most opinions where "un-informed").

Most people just choose the one they first use. Few people know
several DVCS. Pauli and me started a page about arguments pro/cons git
- it is still very much work in progress:

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/GitMigrationProposal

Since few people are willing to try different systems, we also started
a few workflows (compared to svn):

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/GitWorkflow

FWIW, I have spent some time to look at converting svn repo to git,
with proper conversion of branches, tags, and other things. I have
converted my own scikits to git as a first trial (I have numpy
converted as well, but I did not put it anywhere to avoid confusion).
This part of the problem would be relatively simple to handle.

cheers,

David