[Numpy-discussion] How to convert a list into a structured array?

Wei Su taste_of_r@yahoo....
Mon May 4 11:43:24 CDT 2009

Hi,All:

My first post! I am very excited to find out structured array (record array) in Python. Since I do data manipulation every day, this is truly great. However, I typically download data using pyodbc, the default output is a big list. So I am wondering how to convert that big list into a structured array? using array() will turn it into a text array, afaik. it is even better if anybody can show me some tricks to download the data directly as a structured array.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Wei Su

BTW: I am also interested in Python's ability to handle large data. Any hints or suggestion is welcome.