[Numpy-discussion] Matlab/Numpy index order

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue May 12 15:47:51 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 15:32, Chris Colbert <sccolbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is interesting.
>
> I have always done RGB imaging with numpy using arrays of shape (height,
> width, 3). In fact, this is the form that PIL gives when calling
> np.asarray() on a PIL image.
>
> It does seem more efficient to be able to do a[0],a[1],a[2] to get the R, G,
> and B channels respectively. This, obviously is not currently the case.

It's not *that* much more efficient.

> Would it be better for me to switch to this way of doing things  and/or work
> a patch for PIL so that the array is built in the form (3, height, width)?

Submitting a patch for PIL would neither be successful, nor worth your
time. Not to mention breaking existing code.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco