[Numpy-discussion] numpy slices limited to 32 bit values?

Glenn Tarbox, PhD glenn@tarbox....
Sun May 17 00:24:34 CDT 2009

Today at Sage Days we tried slices on a few large arrays (no mmap) and found
that slicing breaks on arrays somewhere between 2.0e9 and 2.5e9 elements.
The failure mode is the same, no error thrown, basically nothing happens

This was on one of the big sage machines. I don't know the specific OS / CPU
but it was definitely 64 bit and lots of available memory etc.

-glenn

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 07:40:58AM -0700, Glenn Tarbox, PhD wrote:
> >      Hum, I am wondering: could it be that Sage has not been compiled in
> >      64bits? That number '32' seems to me to point toward a 32bit pointer
> >      issue (I may be wrong).
>
> >    The other tests I posted indicate everything else is working... For
> >    example, np.sum(fp) runs over the full set of 1e10 doubes and seems to
> >    work fine.
>
> Correct. I had missed that.
>
> Gaël

Glenn H. Tarbox, PhD ||  206-274-6919