[Numpy-discussion] Indexing with callables (was: Yorick-like functionality)

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Mon May 18 20:12:04 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 13:23, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Mon, 18 May 2009 09:21:39 -0700, David J Strozzi wrote:
>> [clip]
>>> I also like pointing out that Yorick was a fast, free environment
>>> developed by ~1990, when matlab/IDL were probably the only comparable
>>> games in town, but very few people ever used it.  I think this is a case
>>> study in the triumph of marketing over substance.  It looks like num/sci
>>> py are gaining enough momentum and visibility.  Hopefully the numerical
>>> science community won't be re-inventing this same wheel in 5 years....
>>
>> Well, GNU Octave has been around about the same time, and the same for
>> Scilab. Curiously enough, first public version >= 1.0 of all the three
>> seem to have appeared around 1994. [1,2,3] (Maybe something was in
>> the air that year...)
>>
>> So I'd claim this particular wheel has already been reinvented pretty
>> thoroughly :)
>
> It's worth noting that most of numpy's indexing functionality was
> stol^H^H^H^Hborrowed from Yorick in ages past:
>
>  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/matrix-sig/1995-November/000143.html

Thanks for the link, an interesting discussion on the origin of
array/matrices in python.

also the end of matrix-sig is interesting
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/matrix-sig/2000-February/003292.html

I needed to check some history: Gauss and Matlab are more than 10
years older, and S is ancient, way ahead of Python.

Josef