[Numpy-discussion] binary builds against older numpys

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Wed May 20 14:07:43 CDT 2009

We are trying to build and test mpl installers for python2.4, 2.5 and
2.6.  What we are finding is that if we build mpl against a more
recent numpy than the installed numpy on a test machine, the import of
mpl extension modules which depend on numpy trigger a segfault.

Eg, on python2.5 and python2.6, we build the mpl installers against
the numpy-1.3.0-win32.superpack installation, and if I test the
installer on a python2.5 machine with numpy-1.2.1-win32.superpack
installed, I get the segfault.  If I install
numpy-1.3.0-win32.superpack on the test machine, then the mpl binaries
work fine.

Is there an known binary incompatibly between 1.2.1 and 1.3.0?  One
solution we may consider is building our 2.5 binaries against 1.2.1
and seeing if they work with both 1.2.1 and 1.3.0 installations, but
wanted to check in here to see if there were known issues or solutions
we should be considering.

Our test installers are at http://drop.io/rlck8ph if you are interested.

Thanks,
JDH