[Numpy-discussion] Home for pyhdf5io?

Albert Thuswaldner albert.thuswaldner@gmail....
Thu May 21 15:54:08 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 22:38, David Warde-Farley <dwf@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> Hi Albert,
>
> So this is a wrapper on top of PyTables to implement load() and
> save()? Neat.

Yes, you got the idea. in its most simplest form you can type:

 hdf5save()

And all your local variables are saved to a file with the default file
name "hdf5io.h5".
Of course it also allows you to specify a file name and what variables
you would like to save.
As it is based on hdf5 you can also store the variables to a certain
group within the file
(If you know how hdf5 works, you probably know what I'm talking
about).  Appending data to existing
hdf5-files is also possible.

> Obviously if you're installing PyTables, you can do a lot better and
> organize your data hierarchically without the messiness of Matlab
> structures, walk the node tree, all kinds of fun stuff, but if  you're
> an expatriate matlab user and just want to save some matrices... this
> is great. Notably, that was one of my gripes about ipython+numpy+scipy
> +matplotlib when I first came from Matlab.

Exactly!

> I think you should send a message to the PyTables list, ask Francesc
> if he thinks it has a place in PyTables for it as a 'lite' wrapper or
> something, for people who need to save data but don't need/are
> intimidated by all the features that PyTables provides.

Actually, I just e-mail Francesc, see what he thinks.

Thanks for your reply. Also thanks to the others who also have replied

/Albert