[Numpy-discussion] sparse matrix dot product

Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail....
Thu May 28 15:45:01 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Nicolas Rougier
<Nicolas.Rougier@loria.fr> wrote:

> Obviously, the last computation is not a dot product, but I got no
> warning at all. Is that the expected behavior ?

Sparse matrices make no attempt to work with numpy functions like
dot(), so I'm not sure what is happening there.

> By the way, I wrote a speed benchmark for dot product using the
> different flavors of sparse matrices and I wonder if it should go
> somewhere in documentation (in anycase, if anyone interested, I can post
> the benchmark program and result).

Sparse dot products will ultimately map to sparse matrix
multiplication, so I'd imagine your best bet is to use A.T * B (for
column matrices A and B in csc_matrix format).

--
Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/