[Numpy-discussion] Formatting uint64 number

Sun Nov 1 22:49:29 CST 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Thomas Robitaille <
thomas.robitaille@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question concerning uint64 numbers - let's say I want to
> format a uint64 number that is > 2**31, at the moment it's necessary
> to wrap the numpy number inside long before formatting
>
> In [3]: "%40i" % np.uint64(2**64-1)
> Out[3]: '                                      -1'
>
> In [4]: "%40i" % long(np.uint64(2**64-1))
> Out[4]: '                    18446744073709551615'
>
> Would it be easy to modify numpy such that it automatically converts
> uint64 numbers to long() instead of int() when implicitly converted to
> python types?

Hmm, I suspect this is a bug whose source is uint64 having an integer
conversion function as part of the type whereas it should be undefined. A
quick look at the source leaves me befuddled, so tracking down just how this
happens might be a bit of work.

Chuck