[Numpy-discussion] Solaris Sparc build broken

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Wed Nov 4 23:56:39 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> And it looks like extended precision has disappeared from the latest version
> or the ieee_754-2008 standard, being replaced by quad precision. I know
> Intel is also working on quad precision FPU's, so I think that is where
> things are heading.

The problem is not so much the format itself, but that it is different
for almost every arch, and that it needs to be distinguished between
OS and compilers (long double on ia32 does not mean the same thing on
mac os x and windows, and does not mean the same thing on windows
depending on the compiler and even the compiler option).

This sounds like a maintenance nightmare, with tens of configurations
to implement (and test). I can't see a simple solution, short of
dropping support for long double for any feature which needs knowledge
of the exact representation.

cheers,

David