[Numpy-discussion] Accessing LAPACK and BLAS from the numpy C API

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Nov 10 01:43:31 CST 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:
>>
>>> You find a C function pointer wrapped in a CObject in the ._cpointer
>>> attribute.
>>>

>> Sorry, in the ._cpointer attribute of what precisely?
>
> If Sturla refers to CObject as defined in the python C API, then the
> underlying lapack functions are not wrapped into a C object (this is not
> done automatically). The lapack_lite functions such as dgeev and co are
> standard python function (with *self and *args args, i.e. wrappers
> around the underlying 'true' lapack function).

Thanks, David.  My question was because Sturla's language seemed to
suggest (at least it did to me) that there was some python object foo
where foo._cpointer would be a poniter to the raw C function one could
then manipulate with ctypes.  Perhaps I just misunderstood, but thanks
for clarifying that at least this isn't possible today from pure
python.

Cheers,