[Numpy-discussion] numpy distutils and distribute

Darren Dale dsdale24@gmail....
Sat Nov 14 09:29:16 CST 2009

Please excuse the cross-post. I have installed distribute-0.6.8 and
numpy-svn into my ~/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages (using "python
setup.py install --user"). I am now trying to install Enthought's
Enable from a fresh svn checkout on ubuntu karmic:

$ python setup.py develop --user
[...]
building library "agg24_src" sources
building library "kiva_src" sources
building extension "enthought.kiva.agg._agg" sources
building extension "enthought.kiva.agg._plat_support" sources
building data_files sources
build_src: building npy-pkg config files
running build_clib
customize UnixCCompiler
customize UnixCCompiler using build_clib
running build_ext
build_clib already run, it is too late to ensure in-place build of build_clib
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 327, in <module>
    **config
  File "/home/darren/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/distutils/core.py",
line 186, in setup
    return old_setup(**new_attr)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/core.py", line 152, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py", line 975, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py", line 995, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "/home/darren/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/distutils/command/build_ext.py",
line 74, in run
    self.library_dirs.append(build_clib.build_clib)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'build_clib' referenced before assignment

I am able to run "python setup.py install --user". Incidentally,
"python setup.py develop --user" worked for TraitsGui, EnthoughtBase,
TraitsBackendQt4.

I have been (sort of) following the discussion on distutils-sig. Thank
you Robert, David, Pauli, for all your effort.