[Numpy-discussion] Beginner Needing Help with Installation

Eric Firing efiring@hawaii....
Thu Nov 19 15:46:03 CST 2009

Scot Denhalter wrote:
> I am a beginning programmer who is reading Natural Language Processing
> with Python. The book provides tutorials for working with the NLTK,
> which needs numpy to run certain calculations.  I have downloaded and
> installed Python 2.6.  I have downloaded numpy 1.3.0, but I cannot
> figure out how to install it.  I have read the Install.txt that is
> included, but I don't understand exactly what I need to do.  The
> instructions are clear enough for those familiar with the programming
> world, but I am obviously not the document's target reader.
>
> I am working with a MacBook Pro and do not have either fortran compiler
> installed.  Can someone give me some guidance?

You don't need a fortran compiler for numpy, even if you are building
from source; and you probably don't need to build from source.  Did you
try the suggested binary packages for the Mac as listed on the nltk site?

http://www.nltk.org/download

Eric