[Numpy-discussion] Beginner Needing Help with Installation

Scot Denhalter scot.denhalter@gmail....
Thu Nov 19 16:36:43 CST 2009

Eric,

Yes, I downloaded the files recommended on that webpage.  The tar.gz files
unpack, but they do not install, and I am too much of a newbie to figure out
how to install the files in the unpacked folder.  No matter where I placed
the numpy folder, I couldn't get Python 2.6 to find and install numpy.

Nevertheless, I did finally find .dmg downloads for numpy and matplotlib and
they installed without my having to get involved.

But when I run a dispersion_plot function, I get an error message from
Python, which I don't understand:

Warning (from warnings module):
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/dates.py",
line 91
    import pytz.zoneinfo
ImportWarning: Not importing directory
'/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pytz/zoneinfo':
missing __init__.py

Python launches the dispersion plot in another window as it apparently
should, so why am I getting an error message?  Perhaps, those of you who
program in Python can explain this  to me.

Scot