[Numpy-discussion] Beginner Needing Help with Installation

Scot Denhalter scot.denhalter@gmail....
Thu Nov 19 18:00:48 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM, David Warde-Farley <dwf@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> On 19-Nov-09, at 5:41 PM, Scot Denhalter wrote:
>
>> Yes, I am using the Snow Leopard OSX.  Should I be coding through
>> the Xcode
>> interface and not Python's IDLE shell?
>
> Using the Xcode IDE is not necessary and probably far from optimal for
> what you're doing; however Xcode installs all of the command line
> tools (gcc, g++, make) that are typically needed to build packages.

I am not building anything at the moment.  I am simply trying to learn
Python as it pertains to Natural Language Processing.  The book I am
using offers tutorials that sometimes require the installation of
other program: nltk, numpy, matplotlib, Prover9, MaltParser, and
MegaM.  So far, I have only succeeded with  installing nltk, numpy,
and matplotlib.  Nevertheless, I figure I should address this error
message about matplotlib first.  I am using matplotlib-0.99.1.1. with
Python 2.6.

>> You distinguish between system wide installation and user
>> installation. You
>> may have seen from my post to Eric, that I found and installed .dmg
>> downloads for numpy and matplotlib.  I have tried to figure out
>> where these
>> installed themselves, but I haven't found them in the user folder.
>> I assume
>> they have been installed system wide.  Is this going to be a problem?
>
> The DMGs install in system-wide directories, /Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages I'm
> guessing. The --user stuff should be used if you are installing
> against the Python that Apple ships with OS X. They also ship an old &
> crusty version of NumPy, I think.

Yes, my MacBook Pro came with Python 2.5.  Pierre recommends iPython,
but the book I am using to learn Python (Natural Language Processing
with Python) says that the NLTK won't work with anything above version
2.6.   I discovered that limitation after first installing Python 3.x.
 I don't know if iPython is compatible with the NLTK.  What do you
think, Pierre?