[Numpy-discussion] Beginner Needing Help with Installation

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Thu Nov 19 18:11:09 CST 2009

On 19-Nov-09, at 7:00 PM, Scot Denhalter wrote:

> Yes, my MacBook Pro came with Python 2.5.  Pierre recommends iPython,
> but the book I am using to learn Python (Natural Language Processing
> with Python) says that the NLTK won't work with anything above version
> 2.6.   I discovered that limitation after first installing Python 3.x.
> I don't know if iPython is compatible with the NLTK.  What do you
> think, Pierre?

IPython is not a version of Python; it is simply a front-end to the
interactive Python prompt which makes it more pleasant to use (it adds
tab completion, for example, and allows you to keep using the prompt
while displaying a plot (e.g., to add things to an existing plot
window, or to open multiple plots). IPython and NLTK will not
interfere with one another.

At any rate, the matplotlib error is not an error but a warning, and
unless you are making plots that involve dates and/or time zones
(which is improbable given the subject area), it can be safely ignored.

David