[Numpy-discussion] failure building trunk with mingw

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sun Nov 22 09:47:55 CST 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:37 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:25 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> adding the failing type in the test to the failure message would also
>>> be helpful
>>
>> Yes, you're right. I also used the nose facility for using generators
>> for complex corner cases, but with retrospect, it is not so useful,
>> because you don't get a name when you have a failure (or maybe I am
>> using it wrong).
>
> I don't know what the policy for the use of assert in numpy is,
> but if you use the function np.testing.assert_ then you can add a
> failure message with eg. repr(t)
>
> With "yield check_a_function arguments" nose prints the arguments
>  in the test description, putting information into the arguments gets
> then displayed. This is also useful for arguments that the check
> function doesn't really need.

example:

I change the test to this, then the new test failure output is as below

def test_spacing():
    for t in [np.float32, np.float64, np.longdouble]:
        one = t(1)
        eps = np.finfo(t).eps
        nan = t(np.nan)
        inf = t(np.inf)
        assert_(np.spacing(one) == eps, repr(t))
        assert_(np.isnan(np.spacing(nan)), repr(t))
        assert_(np.isnan(np.spacing(inf)), repr(t))
        assert_(np.isnan(np.spacing(-inf)), repr(t))

FAIL: test_umath.test_spacing
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\programs\python25\lib\site-packages\nose-0.11.1-py2.5.egg\nose\case.p
y", line 183, in runTest
    self.test(*self.arg)
  File "C:\Josef\_progs\Subversion\numpy-trunk\dist\numpy-1.4.0.dev7758.win32\Pr
ograms\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\core\tests\test_umath.py", line 863, in
test_spacing
    assert_(np.spacing(one) == eps, repr(t))
  File "\Programs\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\testing\utils.py", line 33, i
n assert_
AssertionError: <type 'numpy.float96'>

Josef