[Numpy-discussion] 2to3c: 2to3 for C extensions

René Dudfield renesd@gmail....
Sun Nov 22 12:28:10 CST 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> la, 2009-11-21 kello 20:00 -0500, David Warde-Farley kirjoitti:
>> Guido posted a link to this on Twitter, it might be of interest to
>> people interested in the NumPy Python 3 transition:
>>
>>       http://dmalcolm.livejournal.com/3935.html
>>
>> It's doubtful this is a magic bullet (at least, not yet) but it may
>> still help reduce the amount of busywork involved.
>
> Interesting -- though at the moment it doesn't seem to solve very many
> of our problems.
>

> I did some cleanup of numpy.testing, distutils, and core so that using
> 2to3 the build_ext in numpy.core can at least be started:
>
>        http://github.com/pv/numpy-work/tree/py3k
>
>        python3 tools/py3test testing distutils core
>
> Of course, the build currently fails with zillion errors in
> multiarraymodule.
>
>        Pauli

hi,

I've been working on this too... see the previous py3k thread for
details of my plan.  See http://github.com/illume/numpy3k/tree/work
for my (not very much) progress.

I don't have time for about a week to do any more work on my tree.
Maybe your tree is ahead anyway... I am taking the approach we used
with pygame so that the tree can work with both python 2.x and 3.x.  I
got up to getting a fair amount of the setup code working... but there
are still some issues.

The 2to3 script for C code does look useful.  However it will not work
in a backwards compatible manner.  However maybe it can be modified to
work in such a way.

anyway... I'll look at your tree again next time I have time to work
on this in a week or so.

cheers!