[Numpy-discussion] Installing numpy under cygwin

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Nov 24 20:57:19 CST 2009

Hi Olivia,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Olivia Cheronet
<cheronetolivia@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I attempted to install Numpy for my Cygwin python again, by simply executing:
>  >python setup.py install
>
>  However, I now get the following:
>  >File "numpy/core/setup.py", line 253, in check_mathlib
>  >  raise EnvironmentError("math library missing; rerun "
>  >EnvironmentError: math library missing; rerun setup.py after setting the
>  MATHLIB
>  >env variable
>

>  I have a math library from cygwin (libm.a), but I have not managed to set it.

The message is misleading (the message is hopefully improved with the
last trunk), and it is almost always caused by a broken toolchain
(that is you are missing gcc, or g++, etc...).

It would be helpful to have the full build log to help you better,

David